Thursday, May 4, 2017

OT 425: Cultural Competency Blog Post #9

     Today in foundations we discussed the topics of culture, the culture of OT,  and cultural competency. We discussed how there are different values and beliefs of different cultures as well.  I experienced differences in manners and in language from growing up in all of the different states that I lived in. For example, my parents are both from the north and so are their families. We have predominately lived in the South for most of my childhood, and when we moved to South Carolina, everyone said "Y'all." With my parent's families being from the north, they say "you guys" and think that it is incorrect grammar to say "y'all". As an OT, it is important to realize these differences and be able to recognize when we have different beliefs, biases, and cultural upbringings.
    Another experience that I had growing up involving culture was when I moved to Alpharetta, GA. In the public schools there, we weren't allowed to say "Merry Christmas" or have Christmas parties at school. We had to say "Happy Holidays" and have holiday parties at school. This was because there was such diversity in the area with different religions and backgrounds. I went to my first Bat Mitzvah living there, and I was exposed to many different traditions and religions. Soon after, we moved to Greenville, South Carolina, where everyone said "Yes ma'am" and "Merry Christmas" without hesitation. This was an adjustment within itself for me, as I grew up thinking I wasn't able to say "Merry Christmas" to respect everyone's beliefs. It is so interesting to see how many differences there are in just the US, let alone all over the world. As an OT, we will be working with a variety of individuals with unique beliefs, backgrounds, and culture. We need to appreciate the differences, respect them, and learn from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment