Tuesday, April 18, 2017

OT 425 Clinical Reasoning Blog Post #5

Today in foundations we discussed clinical reasoning. Throughout my time observing before OT school, I always wondered how occupational therapists were able to know exactly what interventions to do with their clients.  From my shadowing hours, I saw a lot of interventions that were the same with all clients, regardless of their injury or disability. I figured that these interventions were just the "norm" for OT practice, and I always figured that it would be just something we would learn in OT school as time went on. Little did I know, that was so far from the truth.

We learned today that this process is a science, an art, and involves ethics. Scientific clinical reasoning involves considering the possible things that can be done for a client. Artistic clinical reasoning uses creativity, humor, or other means to support the specific needs of a clinic. There are 7 types of clinical reasoning.

As an OT student, it will be important to remember that this process includes things that you have seen, your knowledge, and your own emotions. Clinical reasoning is a part of the learning process. This process will be shaped and learned as you are in school. In addition, your abilities will grow as you gain more experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment